This awareness campaign uses a system-wide approach to educate the public and inform stakeholders about available services and where to find resources regarding behavioral health and postpartum depression. The Intellectual and Developmental Disability and Behavioral Health Services Office of Mental Health Coordination leads the campaign with a team of representatives from other areas of HHS and external partners. The campaign fosters collaborations across systems and external partners to educate and inform stakeholders through the use of MentalHealthTX.org website. This campaign benefits the general public and those affected by behavioral health issues.
To ensure a unified approach in coordinating system-wide efforts surrounding the observation of May as Mental Health Awareness Month and Postpartum Depression Awareness Month.
Increase mental health and postpartum depression awareness to HHS employees, members of the public and legislators by observing May as Mental Health Awareness Month and Postpartum Depression Awareness Month and continue efforts throughout the year.
Reducing Stigma; Finding Help Finding Hope
- HHSC Medical and Social Services Division, including other sections of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities – Behavioral Health
- Health Developmental and Independence Services
- Medicaid and CHIP Services
- Office of Acquired Brain Injury
- Office of Disability Prevention for Children
- State-operated facilities
- Women's Health Services
- HHSC Communications
- The Texas Education Agency
- Department of Family and Protective Services
- Texas Juvenile Justice Department
- Texas Institute for Excellence in Mental Health
Mental Health First-Aid Course
Just as CPR lets you help someone having a heart attack, Mental Health First Aid trains you to help someone experiencing a mental health or substance use-related crisis. In the Mental Health First Aid course, you learn risk factors and warning signs for mental health and addiction concerns, strategies for how to help someone in crisis and non-crisis situations, and where to turn for help.