The Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome Advisory Council is established in accordance with Texas Health and Safety Code Chapter 119A.
Pediatric Acute-Onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome is a medical condition where a child suddenly develops obsessive-compulsive symptoms or severe eating restrictions along with at least two other cognitive, behavioral or neurological symptoms. Symptoms typically appear following an infection or other inflammatory reaction. An estimated 1–2% of children are affected by PANS, according to the PANS Research Consortium. Estimates suggest that about 11,000 children younger than 18 years old develop this illness each year in Texas.
A PANS diagnosis is based on an analysis of the child’s medical history, current symptoms and a physical examination. PANS interferes with children’s ability to learn in school and, if left untreated, can negatively affect their quality of life.
The purpose of the Council is to advise Health and Human Services Commission and the legislature on research, diagnosis, treatment and education related to pediatric acute-onset neuropsychiatric syndrome.
The Council files an annual written report to the governor, legislature and commission by September 1 of each year that includes recommendations:
- Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of PANS.
- Increase clinical awareness and education regarding PANS among physicians, including pediatricians, school-based health centers and mental health care providers.
- Create outreach strategies to increase educators' and parents' awareness of PANS.
- Develop a network of volunteer experts on the diagnosis and treatment of PANS to assist in the delivery of education and outreach.
- Joel B. Brock D.N.P., Researcher, Dallas
- Honorable Dawn Buckingham, Texas Senate Representative, Lakeway
- Kara S. Chasteen, Parent, Bertram
- Anne M. Esquivel Ph.D., Psychologist, New Braunfels
- Lisa M. Formby, School Nurse, Hereford
- Sarah Rosen Garrett, Licensed Social Worker, Spicewood
- Suzanne K. Gazda M.D., Autism Advocacy, San Antonio
- Lisa C. Hardy, PANSA Advocacy, Argyle
- Qazi U. Javed M.D, Child Psychiatrist, Austin
- Paula J. Kruppstadt M.D., Pediatrician, Woodlands
- Larry Lewellyn M.D., HHS Ex Officio, Austin
- Sharon G. Lemons, Dietician, Saginaw
- Amy L. Offutt M.D., Licensed Health Care Provider, Marble Falls
- Honorable Beverly Powell, Texas Senate Representative, Burleson
- Honorable Scott Sanford, Texas House of Representatives, McKinney
- Honorable Terry Wilson, Texas House of Representatives, Marble Falls
- Vacant, Immunologist
- Vacant, Osteopathic Physician
- November 19, 2021
- February 25, 2022
- May 20, 2022
- August 10, 2022
For More Information
Contact us at PANS@hhs.texas.gov.