If you want to be on the forefront of revolutionizing forensic psychiatric care, join the HHS Health and Specialty Care System. With a growing need for our services and a state Legislature that’s investing in the mental health continuum of care, Texas is becoming a 21st century leader in forensic psychiatry — and you’ll have the chance to be a part of that and work with new technology in an atmosphere that rewards innovation.
- Career advancement opportunities.
- Comprehensive medical insurance. Texas pays 100% of the health plan premiums for eligible full-time employees and 50% of the premiums for their eligible dependents.
- 96 hours of annual accrued vacation leave.
- 96 hours of annual accrued sick leave.
- More than 20 annual holidays.
- Retirement plan with lifetime annuities.
- Student loan forgiveness.
- Potential to telework for certain positions.
Additional benefits of working in Texas:
- No state income tax.
- Low housing costs.
- Prominent universities.
- Abundant recreational activities and wide-open spaces.
The HHSC Health and Specialty Care System has nine state psychiatric hospitals as well as a residential center dedicated to adolescents. Joining us, you’ll work in partnership with staff, academic institutions and community providers to further incorporate technology into patient care and facility operations, improve efficiencies and enhance the patient-centered care we provide to more than 6,000 people each year.
The Texas Legislature has invested $16 billion in behavioral health care in the past two sessions, including $745 million in new facilities for the state hospital system. These projects will add 374 new psychiatric beds. The new state-of-the-art facilities will use architecture and design strategies — such as single-person rooms, natural light and access to open spaces — to support the healing process.
We are committed to working with our partners within HHSC as well as district attorneys, jails, defense lawyers, judges and outpatient providers to streamline the competency-restoration process and explore diversion opportunities across the continuum of mental healthcare.
You’ve decided to make caring your career. Come to the place where you can do that and make a real difference in the lives of Texans.
Visit our jobs page to apply today. Enter the keyword “psychiatrist” to see all of our open positions.