Texas Department of State Health Services, Robert Bernstein Building, Room K-100, First Floor
1100 West 49th Street, Austin, Texas
This meeting will be webcast. Members of the public may attend the meeting in person at the address above or access a live stream of the meeting at https://texashhsmeetings.org/HHSWebcast. Select the tab for the Bernstein K-100 Room Live on the date and time for this meeting. Please e-mail Webcasting@hhsc.state.tx.us if you have any problems with the webcasting function.
Closed captioning for this meeting will be available.
This meeting will also be conducted via videoconference call in accordance with the requirements of Section 551.127, Government Code. The member of the Board presiding over the meeting will be physically present at the location specified above.
Attendees who would like to provide public comment should see the Public Comment section below.
- Call to order, roll call, and introductions
- Consideration of September 23, 2022, draft meeting minutes
- Updates related to Health and Independence programs
- Report from Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services
- Staff vacancies
- Advancement training opportunity for entry-level interpreters
- BEI Manager report
- Testing and rating updates
- Other operational updates
- Discuss BEI continuing education policy
- Discuss BEI code of professional conduct
- Strategies to expand training opportunities for certified interpreters
- Recommendations for disciplinary actions on complaints relating to BEI certified interpreters
- Public comment
- Future meetings and planning
Public comment may be taken on any agenda item.
Public Comment: The Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) welcomes public comments pertaining to topics related to the BEI Advisory Board. Members of the public who would like to provide public comment may choose from the following options:
- Comments provided virtually live during the meeting: Members of the public must pre-register to provide comments virtually live during the meeting by completing a Public Comment Registration form at https://texashhsmeetings.org/BEI_PCReg_Jan2023 no later than 5:00 p.m. Wednesday, January 25, 2023. Please mark the correct box on the Public Comment Registration form and provide your name, either the organization you are representing or that you are commenting as a private citizen, and your direct phone number. If you have completed the Public Comment Registration form, you will receive an email the day before the meeting with instructions for providing virtual public comment. Public comment is limited to three minutes. Each person providing public comments virtually live during must ensure their face is visible and their comments audible to the other participants while they are commenting. Each person must state their name and on whose behalf they are commenting (if anyone). If you pre-register to comment and wish to provide a handout before the meeting, please submit an electronic copy in accessible PDF format that will be distributed by HHS staff to BEI members and State staff. Handouts are limited to two pages (paper size: 8.5” by 11”, one side only). Handouts must be emailed to Jamie.email@example.com immediately after pre-registering, but no later than 5:00 p.m. Wednesday, January 25, 2023, and include the name of the person who will be commenting. Do not include health or other confidential information in your comments or handouts. Staff will not read handouts aloud during the meeting, but handouts will be provided to BEI members and State staff.
- Written comments: Members of the public may provide written public comments by completing a Public Comment Registration form at https://texashhsmeetings.org/BEI_PCReg_Jan2023. A member of the public who wishes to provide written public comments must email the comments to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5:00 p.m. Wednesday, January 25, 2023. Please include your name and the organization you are representing or that you are speaking as a private citizen. Written comments must be emailed to HHSC immediately after pre-registering and include the name of the person who will be commenting. Written comments are limited to two pages (paper size: 8.5” by 11”, one side only). Do not include health or other confidential information in your comments. Staff will not read written comments aloud during the meeting, but comments will be provided to BEI members and State staff.
- Comments provided in-person at the meeting location: Members of the public may provide public comment during the meeting in person at the meeting location either by pre-registering using the form above or without pre-registering by completing a form at the entrance to the meeting room. Do not include health or other confidential information in your comments.
Contact: Questions regarding agenda items, content, or meeting arrangements should be directed to Jamie Jones, Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services, HHSC, 512-410-1387, email@example.com.
This meeting is open to the public. No reservations are required, and there is no cost to attend this meeting.
People with disabilities who wish to attend the meeting and require auxiliary aids or services should contact Jones at 512-410-1387 at least 72 hours before the meeting so appropriate arrangements can be made.
The Health and Human Services Commission BEI Advisory Board, a purely advisory body, complies with the Open Meetings Act. In accordance with the Act, the Board may enter into closed Executive Session for discussion and consideration of items posted on this agenda notice which involve: (a) pending or contemplated litigation matters or settlement offers requiring consultation with or advice from the Board's attorney, pursuant to Texas Government Code §551.071(1); (b) a matter in which the duty of the Board's attorney to the Board under the Texas Disciplinary Rules of Professional Conduct of the State Bar of Texas clearly conflicts with Chapter 551 of the Texas Government Code, pursuant to Texas Government Code §551.071(2); (c) a negotiated contract for a prospective gift or donation to the State or to the Board, pursuant to Texas Government Code §551.073; or (d) other matters as permitted pursuant to Chapter 551 of the Texas Government Code.
The Board will reconvene following Executive Session for discussion of items considered in closed session and to take any final actions or vote on such matters in accordance with Texas Government Code §551.102.
- Matters relating to recommendations on possible disciplinary actions and settlement of disciplinary actions relating to BEI certified interpreters.
- Any other matter discussed on the agenda. If, during the discussion of any agenda item, a matter is raised that is appropriate for discussion in executive session the Board may, as permitted by law, adjourn into executive session to deliberate on the matter.