If you have questions or concerns about services for a person with an intellectual or developmental disability, the IDD Ombudsman can help.
We can help you:
- Access IDD services.
- Answer questions about programs and providers.
- Find a way to solve problems with your services.
- Understand your rights, including:
- Exercising the same rights as other Texans.
- Participating in decisions about your services.
- Changing providers at any time.
- Complaining about your services.
- Connect to other resources.
How to Get Help
Complaints can come from anyone — the person receiving services, family members, service providers, health care providers, authorized advocates, or community members. You can make a complaint over the phone or in writing.
There are four ways to contact us:
- Call: 800-252-8154 from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday
You will be asked to select a language, and then select Option 3.
If you have a hearing or speech disability, call the toll-free Relay Texas service at 7-1-1 or 800-735-2989.
- Mail: Texas Health and Human Services Commission
P.O. Box 13247
Austin, TX 78711-3247
- Email: OmbudsmanIDD@hhs.texas.gov.
- Fax: 888-780-8099
Publications Explaining Your Rights
Visit our publications page, which includes handbooks for people receiving services through the HCS or TxHmL programs, or LIDDA.
How to Get Help with Other IDD Programs
Besides our office, you can call the HHSC Regulatory Complaint & Incident Intake office at 800-458-9858 to make a complaint about the care, treatment or services received by people who live in:
- Nursing homes
- Assisted living facilities
- Intermediate care facilities
- State supported living centers
They also take complaints about people or companies that provide these services:
- Home health
- Personal assistance
- Day activity and health services
- If you are looking for a service provider, find the LIDDA closest to you.
- To find and compare HCS providers, click here.
- To find an HCS group home with vacancies, check here.
- To find and compare TxHmL providers, click here.
- When choosing a service provider, you might want to use this list of questions to ask providers (PDF).
- Disability Rights Texas is the federally designated legal protection and advocacy agency for people with disabilities in Texas.
- To report suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation, call the Texas Abuse Hotline at 800-647-7418.