HHS places a significant value on volunteers and interns and the services they provide. Our volunteers:
- Help educate people about their benefits
- Connect with state supporting living centers residents and state hospital patients
- Intern with an HHS program
To volunteer or intern with a HHS office or state supported living center please fill out the volunteer/intern application and take the required online training. You will be contacted by a program employee when your application is received. More information about volunteering or interning with a HHS office or state supported living center can be found through the links below.
- Each state supported living center has its own volunteer and internship program that provides opportunities and activities to enhance the quality of life for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
- HHS offers unpaid internships and practicum opportunities to enrolled college students. Students can work in almost any part of the agency to gain valuable experience.
- Volunteer opportunities in HHS offices across the state include helping people complete applications, clerical support, serving as an information resource and much more.
The volunteer opportunities below have their own application and orientation process. Visit their webpage to learn more about the program and how to apply.
- The Foster Grandparent Volunteer Program recruits adults age 55 and older to provide one-on-one emotional support, mentoring and tutoring to children with exceptional needs.
- Share your time and talents at a nursing home or assisted living facility by bringing companionship to someone.
- Volunteer long-term care ombudsmen help people living in nursing homes and assisted living facilities resolve concerns. They are trained problem-solvers who help ensure residents' rights and choices are respected.
- Volunteer benefits counselors are a trained to help people age 60 and older and people with disabilities who qualify for Medicare understand their benefits, entitlements and legal rights.